<3 Joan’s outfit. The shorts say “Screw you, blizzard” but the tights are like “Let’s try to stay alive here, guys.”
GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND!
Joan Watson won Fandom March Madness : Why it Matters .
So over on livejournal there is an alternate March Madness held, called f_march_madness, but its all about fandom - with nominated characters competing against each other for the win! And this year, Joan Watson from Elementary took home the top honours. This is pretty cool and let me tell you why. .
- Female characters are so usually reviled and hated by audiences, we’re conditioned to hate them (I’ll do a longer post on this topic later) so its wonderful to see a female character receive such an outpouring of love. And most of the characters in the f_march_madness are ladies, so thats awesome.
- The ‘Sherlock’ fandom as a whole (including all the series/movies/etc) is an incredibly impassioned one; people have strong opinions on who these famous characters are. When news of Elementary started coming out and that Watson would be gender flipped into a woman, this fandom spoke out loudly - there was quite a bit of dissent and mistrust of this. People were upset that such an iconic character was undergoing this change and others felt it was a cheap trick by CBS to bring in viewers. Whatever the reason and despite all the wariness, people have embraced Elementary and they have embraced Joan
- With a show like Elementary, the “primary” character is Sherlock and the majority of the fanlove should be going towards him. Yet, it is Joan that is captivating audiences. We feel like we can relate to her, she is normal, she dresses normal and in many ways she is a gateway character for us, the audience. We can see ourselves in her.
- She’s a woman of colour. Not only was this new Watson a woman, but she is also a woman of colour. The tv landscape that is so painfully whitewashed, studios operate under the impression that
whiteaudiences can’t “connect” with anyone who isn’t white. Obviously this is a load of crap, but it is still a persistent and oppressive element in our tv. A majority of the characters in f_march_madness are white, but its great to see this awesome woman, a woman of colour, win.
- Its a new show, she’s a new character. Most of the other characters in the competition are from older fandoms - Hermione Granger came in 2nd and she’s from arguably one of the largest fandoms of all time. Elementary is small by comparison, yet the fans were passionate enough to vote it to the top.
- Its Lucy Liu. ‘nuff said. She’s a badass.
THIS IS SO WONDERFUL.
I am so damn happy, I love Joan Watson and Elementary so much, this is amazing.
“You did a remarkable thing today, Watson.”
THIS IS WHY I LOVE ELEMENTARY
INSTEAD OF THE PUNCHLINE OF THE JOKE BEING “LOL SHE’S ON HER PERIOD” THE PUNCHLINE OF THE JOKE IS HER CALLING HIM OUT AND TELLING HIM HE’S AN ASS
I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST. FUCKING. TIME. I’VE SEEN A SHOW CALL SOMEONE OUT ON THE “WELL CLEARLY IT’S YOUR PERIOD AND THAT’S WHY YOU’RE UPSET” AND CALLS IT EXACTLY WHAT IT IS
I am reblogging this to my main and side blog because fucking yes
Joan Watson won’t take none of your shit.